Monday, September 10, 2012

Dayton - Day Forty

Today was very strange. I really did not sleep well at all. I woke up several times and woke up for good at 4:30am. Not the ideal way to start the day. :P For once, I was awake to send MMM to work on a Monday. Weird, but nice!

I decided to try to stay awake for a few hours at least and get a start on my day, so I chose to go for a bike ride! When I set out I was very cold because the sun was just rising! I knew my route and I knew some of the challenges that awaited me. I had to cross a busy road twice and wasn't sure whether or not there would be lights to help me know when it was safe.

I biked down the first road which is basically downhill the entire way, so that was a breeze (literally). The road continues on just a short while at the end without a sidewalk and it goes sharply downhill. I decided to walk my bike down that short distance since it comes to a T with the busy road and it just wouldn't be safe for me. It was so great to find that the road was completely clear once I got to the bottom, so I crossed immediately.

The bike path began on the other side of the road and it was a pleasure. A nice open space in the midst of pretty trees. *sigh* I love nature. The bike path lasted a few blocks and then made the switch across the busy road again. I was so relieved to find a pedestrian light! And after crossing again, the bike path continued for quite a ways.

When I was looking at the map and planning my route, I saw an area that could be potentially dangerous because I wasn't sure if there was an area for me to cross an even busier road! I just started laughing with joy with I saw the tunnel under that road! It was absolutely perfect, and it made me laugh that they had a "Thank you for visiting Greene County" on a bike path.

The bike path took me (finally) to the Huffman Dam which was my goal! I made it on top of the dam and was more than rewarded with the beautiful view! It is probably the highest point on the bike trails in this entire area. It provided a view of downtown Dayton in the distance, the river on both sides, and beautiful forests on all sides. I made it to my goal!

The ride back was significantly more difficult because it was mostly uphill. Once I made it back to the very first road, I walked my bike up that hill and felt the burn. I ended up walking my bike up half the hill on the sidewalk because I wasn't able to get any momentum. It felt so amazing to bike once it leveled out..it was so easy! :P

After getting home, I was completely spent. I did go to the store to grab a few things but then I got back home and chatted with my sister for a while. After that I nearly immediately fell asleep and it felt glorious.

The rest of the day just felt completely off balance. MMM got home early which was nice. We just chatted and watched tennis. Tennis was on for several hours so that took up the rest of our night, really. Now it is time to read before going to bed. And I'm hoping for better sleep tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment