It was a great morning since MMM had a late start! We both got to sleep in a bit and then I had fun preparing a lunch for him. After eating my own breakfast, I jumped at the chance to go swimming. The pool at our hotel has been closed more often than not because of the recent weather. I enjoyed my time at the pool and sitting in the sun playing Angry Birds on our tablet.
After getting ready for the day, I decided to do laundry in the hotel laundry room. Sadly, it is quite expensive. I'm hoping that our new place back home (whenever we find it) will have it's own washer and dryer. While doing laundry I feasted on leftover cheesy vegetable soup! I'm very happy to say that adding the chicken, potatoes, and more milk really downgraded it from very cheesy to just cheesy enough. Woot!
As is normal, MMM called me over his lunch break and we chatted for a while during his longer than normal break! He reminded me of things I needed to be researching in my time without a job, so I promptly got to that after we hung up. On a random note, I am thrilled beyond words to say that we finally got mail today! We've had such an issue getting our mail forwarded. I have been anxiously awaiting our mail for over two weeks now and we finally got some! Wahoo!!
After all the laundry was taken care of, I ran to the store to get the ingredients for my latest experiment. Last night at dinner with MMM's classmates, they brought up how I should be sending them cookies everyday, and I said it wasn't possible since I don't have a cookie sheet. Well, that put me in a mind to find a treat I could sent to them! I know one of the ladies has a wheat allergy, so I wanted to be careful of that as well. I chose to try rice krispy bars...in a crockpot! The one pot the hotel provided is definitely not big enough to make the bars in, so I improvised.
Starting it all off, I wasn't sure what temperature to go with so I just kept it pretty low. I melted the butter (which took must longer than expected) and added the marshmellows (lots of them!!) and had the enjoyable task of stirring it the whole time. I was happy to have a movie to be watching while making them. I used almost an entire box of rice krispies and probably still could have put in more. I like to do rice krispy bars in large scale (so I can eat them too)! Normally I do this on the stove and it only takes a few minutes, but doing it in the crockpot takes so much longer!
After stirring it all together came the issue of where to put it to make it set?! I had originally planned on buying tin foil to put it on like I've done in the past. Alas, I forgot to grab it. So it was on to Plan B. I grabbed one of the oven trays and put seran wrap around it. I got some of the sticky mixture on to it before I realized it wouldn't be sturdy enough for me to spread it out. Plan C came into play then with the brilliant idea of doing rice krispy balls instead of bars! I was quite pleased with myself. So I rolled all the mixture into balls and carefully stacked them on the largest plate we have to send with MMM in the morning. Over all, it did take quite a bit longer to do it off the stove, but it was manageable and they still taste yummy!
MMM was home before I was finished, so he was very helpful and got to sample it as a reward. :P We just enjoyed spending some time at home, dancing to some blues, and the usual joking around. Dinner was served at the base diner! We are eating there more than I expected to, and I do not mind one bit! We decided not to count it as eating out since it's definitely not as expensive as eating out, and we are following our no-wheat rules when eating there.
After supper we just walked around the rec area and checked out the bowling alley (which is super cheap! Ah, I love my life.). It was a nice little walk, though it was very humid out. Next, I was able to join my hubbie at his study group with classmates. Granted, I really had no reason to be there, but I did enjoy my time and hearing them discuss what they're learning. Most of my attention was devoted to reading The Phantom of the Opera on my tablet (such a good book)!
The evening was closed out by attending a free concert put on by Tops in Blue, which is made up of all Air Force members. Apparently, they had carefully picked to do these shows and they travel to many places to do it! It was enjoyable to be sure. They did a great job for the most part. I especially liked their tribute to Michael Jackson.
Now it is definitely time for bed. I'm just sitting on the couch with my eyes continually watering, so it's a sure sign I must sleep soon. So auf wiedersehen for now and I go to bed to the gentle patter of the rain on our window. G'night all!
No comments:
Post a Comment