Wednesday, November 24, 2010

A month of Thanksgiving - The 24th

Wow, today has been an adventure for sure!! I wasn't able to get that much sleep last night, in fact, only four hours. That seriously is not enough sleep! So, I was pretty tired all day. Work went well, but I found myself constantly distracted with the thought of having to drive home to Iowa after my shift. I had heard that the weather could be pretty bad, and I wasn't sure if I'd be able to make it. With that in mind, my bosses allowed me to leave work an hour and a half early so I could get on the road. Yay for awesome bosses!

The roads around here weren't the best, but I felt fine going 60mph. I drove for 2 hours without much incident besides for having difficulty keeping my windshield clean for some unknown reason. There always seemed to be ice on there, and it was difficult to see at times. It was a bit scary. I was able to clean it off when I stopped for gas, but then when I had to use my wipers again because of snow flung on my car. Once again, I had poor visibility.

It was then I realized that it was a problem with the washer fluid/wipers. It was leaving a residue on the glass, and I couldn't get it off on my own. My sister and her boyfriend were driving in front of me, and when we stopped for supper, I was able to get some water to clean off my windshield again. But again, it didn't last, and this time it was while on a two way highway where the oncoming lights were causing so much glare that I nearly knocked over several cones. Thankfully, I was able to work with my sister's car that they were my guiding light. I couldn't have made it through without them. Scary!!

So, after that scenario, we stopped at a gas station so I could wash my windshield again. That was all fine and dandy...until I realized that I had locked my car...while it was still running. Now, combine 4 hours of sleep with driving (always stressful to me) and then being locked out of my car without hat/gloves/scarf in freezing weather and insane wind...well, you get one hysterical me. Thankfully my sister's boyfriend was there to help.

We called for a police officer, and he came quite quickly and was able to get it open. As I was still somewhat hysterical (what can I say? *shrug*) my lovely sister ended up driving the rest of the way home and there were no further incidents. All in all, the trip took two hours more than I was expecting, but we all made it back safe and sound.

So, that being said, I'm thankful for the opportunity I had to learn from new experiences, and mostly, I'm so thankful to be home for Thanksgiving!!

No comments:

Post a Comment