You don't have to know me long before you realize that I have never-ending questions. I am always asking some sort of question. I think I get on people's nerves sometimes. :P Anyway, right now I'm particularly bothered by one question...If the Gospels are accurate, how can they put things in a different order? I was reading in John 11 yesterday and it said in verse two that "it was that Mary who anointed the Lord with fragrant oil and wiped his feet with her hair, whose brother Lazarus was sick." I had no problem with that statement until I started chapter 12 where it gives the account of Mary anointing Jesus' feet! I realize that this could just be a matter of different story telling styles, but it did bother me that the event was referred to before it was accounted for. This caused me to wonder how the Gospels compare with each other in chronological ordering. Each book has something different to offer and discuss, so I was writing down all the subtitles in each book to see which ones match and where they all fit in a line. I found that Matthew and Mark completely agreed on ordering, but Matthew and Luke didn't. Here are the things they had in common, and the order they were in in each book.
Matthew Luke
John the Baptist born ''
Jesus Tempted ''
The Lord's Prayer Discipleship
Discipleship 5000 Fed
Parables of the Kingdom The Lord's Prayer
5000 Fed Parables of the Kingdom
Ride in Jerusalem ''
Lord's Supper ''
Tried and Crucified ''
Resurrection ''
I understand that these may be minor differences...so am I overreacting by not being satisfied with these results? I just don't know. I've just begun my first examination of the gospels, and I'm definitely going to be looking more closer at their differences and similarities. Any words of advice?
No comments:
Post a Comment