I mentioned before that I'm on a quest to see how the gospels compare to each other, well right now I'm almost done reading John, and then I'll go backwards I think. Back in chapter 15 I noticed something I think I've simply passed over before.
John 15
The True Vine
1 “I am the true vine, and My Father is the vinedresser.
2 Every branch in Me that does not bear fruit He takes away;[a] and every branch that bears fruit He prunes, that it may bear more fruit.
Here is the part that really struck me. People ask a lot, 'how can God let these bad things happen' or 'how can you be so hopeful while going through this?' We have an answer right here. God prunes the fruit bearing branches so they'll bear more fruit. If we're bearing 'fruit', we shouldn't be surprised to be placed in a position that is difficult, and in the long run helps us bear more fruit. It is also a great sense of hope because this shows that God truly does have a purpose in our times of trials.
3 You are already clean because of the word which I have spoken to you.
4 Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in Me.
So often I think people try to hold themselves up, and make themselves a better person, or just simply take care of themselves and not rely on God or on others. But this verse shows that we are dependent on something other than ourselves. We can't bear good fruit on our own, we need the connection to the vine!
5 “I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing.
Here again we see that without that connection to the vine (which is Christ), all of our attempts to improve will fail. Now, a part of this that is difficult for me to grasp is how some non-believers can be so nice and seem like such good people. Any thoughts on that?
6 If anyone does not abide in Me, he is cast out as a branch and is withered; and they gather them and throw them into the fire, and they are burned.
Here we have a huge warning...if we don't stay connected to, rely upon, and live for Christ, we're in trouble. But you know, I could be getting this completely wrong, which is why I'd love to hear all of your comments. Anyway...
7 If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, you will[b] ask what you desire, and it shall be done for you.
Wow, what a promise that is! Sometimes I've felt like this is a huge lie. I haven't always gotten my desires...even though I've asked diligently...but then I realized that it's more the more I abide in Christ, the more I'm seeing life through His eyes, the more my desires are aligning with His...this is where my true desires are.
8 By this My Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit; so you will be My disciples.
I think the only way to 'tell' if a person is a believer or not is to look at what kind of fruit they're bearing. It says else where in the Bible that we'll know them by their fruit. And it is really true.
Anyway, these are just my thoughts of the moment, and granted I am very tired. Hopefully it all made sense!!
Anyway, these are just my thoughts of the moment, and granted I am very tired. Hopefully it all made sense!!
No comments:
Post a Comment