One of my goals for this semester off from school is to get another part time job. That way, I would be using my time wisely and earning/saving more money in case I want to go back to school. It could also be a way to become firmly established as an adult if I don't end up going back to school.
Well, last Saturday on my way home from work, I got a call from a number I didn't recognize. It turned out to be the owner of a small restaurant chain in my area where I had submitted an application 7 1/2 months ago when I first moved up here. He asked if I'd be free for an interview later that day and I said yes. I struggled with that decision the whole afternoon. You see, I really wasn't looking for another food serving job. But I figured, it could be really great so I should at least give it a chance, and at least it will give me some good interviewing practice.
The interview itself went pretty well, so well in fact that he offered me the job after talking to me for 10 minutes! Granted, I do think he was a bit desperate at this point. =P I told him I would let him know the next day. As I drove home and thought about it, the more uneasy I felt about the idea of working there. It's not necessarily anything against the company...just against me and the company. I spoke with nearly everyone in my family (and some friends) about this opportunity and generally got the same outcome: if I wasn't 100% excited about it, don't take it.
I felt bad though, knowing how many people need jobs and can't find them. In fact, I have several friends who are looking/needing jobs, and the jobs just aren't there to be found. So what 'right' did I have to be offered a job and to refuse it? But then I was reminded that if I don't take that job, it's opening up for someone else who might excel at it and really love it. It's not harming me to not take that job, especially since I still have my other job. I'm just waiting for something different.
I submitted an application at a local bank that I know is hiring part time. I won't hear anything for up to a week or two at least. But here's the cool thing! When I heard about the job in Germany, I got this really excited and expectant feeling..and I went to Germany: it happened! Then I came here and found Josie's and had the same excited/expectant feeling...and I got the job and love it! Well, when I saw their 'now hiring' sign at the bank, I got the same feeling as before. I'm not sure if that's God's way of guiding me in these circumstances, but I do know that whenever I've had that feeling, it's always worked out for the best. My Germany job wasn't the best thing ever, but I learned soooo much and was forced to grow up. I would never take back that experience, even though it was difficult.
So all this to say, I'm holding out for a bank job. And I really really hope I get it! If I get it, I'll be the third daughter to work at a bank, which I think is pretty neat. =D
No comments:
Post a Comment