Sunday, May 8, 2011

Failure is NOT an option

Something that has been huge for me lately is getting over my fear of failure and my, somewhat overwhelming, feelings of failure, and so I was given a challenge to write down things I have succeeded in every day and writing more and more each day. I didn't know if it would make much of a difference, but now I think it has. I think the biggest thing I realized is that while the huge successes are amazing, the little successes are still incredibly important. It's more the small things that I base my self opinion on. So, I felt like sharing some of my small successes with you, and showing you how important they actually are!


~ I succeeded in jumping off a swing.
  That sounds strange, doesn't it? Well, I used to jump off swings all the time when I was little, but one day I jumped and hurt myself. I never jumped again, until Friday. It took me a little while to work up the nerve, but I did it! I even did it twice! Shockingly simple, huh? :)

~ I succeeded in crossing an old railroad bridge.
  I promise it was safe. It was quite wide, and the wooden boards were pretty close together. Despite that fact, I was petrified. This venture combined three of my biggest fears; heights, large amounts of water, and bridges. I only made it across because M held my hand the whole way; but I did it! I'm very proud of myself for that.

~ I succeeded in not taking a nap.
I have had sleeping issues for quite some time for various reasons, but I've always found it easier to take naps than to get enough sleep at night. It's on the days when I open that I really feel the need for a nap, but I know and understand that I will sleep better that night if I don't take a nap. It is always a struggle, and I'm happy to say I am doing well with limiting my naps!

~ I succeeded in falling back asleep.
 Waking up in the middle of the night and not being able to fall back asleep is a big part of my sleeping issues. It has become so normal to me that many times I don't even try to fall back asleep right away, but will get up and read my book or something. This last time I woke up though, I told myself that I had to try to fall asleep for at least an hour, and if I was still awake, only then could I get up and read. I fell asleep before my hour was up, and I am happy I didn't give up on sleep for that night.



I realize that these may seem trivial (as I already said), but they truly meant something to me. I found myself thinking about them often and rejoicing in the small victories that God has helped me achieve! I can only look forward to how He's going to continue bringing me victories.

No comments:

Post a Comment