Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Dependency

I helped out at the nursing home again yesterday, and dependency was what struck me the most. Here are just over 100 people who, for whatever reason, need help to continue living their day to day lives. I was very surprised to meet some very young residents there. I know that I always saw nursing homes just as helping elderly people, but not here. Granted, most of the residents are older, but there are still some young people. Two of the residents I've really gotten to know are quadriplegics. One of them has some mobility in his arms, but it is very limited. And the other is completely paralyzed from the neck down. Neither of them are very old, but both are completely dependent on others. 
It wouldn't be hard to understand if they were both bitter and hard-hearted because of their situations, but they have such happy spirits. They are always ready to give a smile, and cheerful attitudes.
It made me wonder how I would respond if put in their situation. The more I thought about it, the more I realized that I already have that aspect in my life.. and I continually fight it...
You see, I really like to be in control. I don't like people making decisions for me. I like having that independence... There are some things I simply cannot control, but that doesn't mean I don't try to! I don't think I am the only one to struggle with giving control to God; giving Him the pen to our life story.
The two men I told you about have to trust that not only are their caretakers capable of assisting them, but that they are willing to assist them as well. Here is a tangible example of how someone can rely completely on another human being. 
Why can't we do the same with God? Why can't we trust Him with that same cheerful attitude and happy spirit? Why do we forget that God not only has the power to make our lives completely glorifying to Him, but He wants to do that too! I'm not saying our lives should be a walk in the park by any means, but God does not give us more than we can handle, He does not allow us to be tempted more than we can bear. He has orchestrated our past, present and future in a miraculous way. Plus, He gives us grace enough for each trial and problem we come into. God is our sustainer. Won't you work on trusting Him more with me?

2 comments: