I have been packing up and cleaning out my room over the past week or so. To begin with, I was packing up everything I own, pretty much. Gradually, I realized (with the encouragement of my sister) that it would be best to live the life of a minimalist. Many of my things are staying here in Iowa, while only the things I truly use on a daily basis will be moving with me.
In the process of cleaning and packing, I've had to go through several containers of miscellaneous things that I've gathered over the years. (I'm a pack-rat, at least to some extent.) Going through all my things has been very interesting. All the projects that I set out to do but never finished, all the knick-knacks. Occasionally I would find something truly special that made me happy to be dealing with all this, but mostly I found myself wondering why I kept all of this junk.
What is it that motivates kids *especially* to hold on to things? How do they see so much importance in a bag of beads and yarn? So many little things seem to hold such value in the eyes of a child. I can't decide whether this is good, bad, or really not that important in the long run.
Before I went to Germany I never really thought about going through and getting rid of any of my things. I was just used to how everything was. I knew, as soon as I got back, there was a little lot of work to do in my room. Little by little it is all going away; some to the trash, some to Goodwill, and some to be stored for later.
I guess my question is, what happened that I'm not only 'okay', but actually quite happy to be getting rid of all these things that I've held onto for so long? Will I be sorry for it later, or will I even remember what is missing? I don't think I will be sorry. By getting rid of all those little things, I am letting go of emotional clutter that I just don't need. Now is a time to grow into the woman that I've been called to be, and I'm excited to see how I change over the next few years. What will I be like when I'm 25? That's an interesting thought!
You didn't TELL me that YOU have a blog! I'm happy I found that out! Now I'll be able to figure out what you will be doing in Fargo, for I haven't had a chance to ask you!
ReplyDelete*giggle*
Haha, I didn't want to pressure you into reading it! Happy to have you along! I'm hoping that my life will be interesting enough to continue blogging. :P
ReplyDeletewhat will you be like when you're 25? Sheesh...you make that sound as if that's old. (be careful what you say!)
ReplyDeletelol, that's not how I meant it though! It's just five years from now...a nice number you know?
ReplyDelete