Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Normalcy

                  It has taken a while, but things are finally beginning to feel normal again. It is amazing how much can change in one year. When I first got to Germany I felt so out of place. It was an entirely new situation for me. The family I worked with, the culture, the language- all things that I had to adapt to. And I did adapt, though it wasn't easy.
                 The odd thing to me is coming home and having to adapt to this life again. I grew up in this town, in this culture, in this environment. Why would I have any problems just jumping back into this life? This place, and this circumstance may not have changed, but I've changed. It is strange to think about, but I am truly a different person than before I went to Germany.
                  I'm definitely more health conscience, and that is a huge bonus! I get tired with just sitting around. I need to be walking somewhere, or else I just feel so lazy and unhealthy. It's shocking that this is ME writing!! :P  I was never a health nut, growing up. I took more pleasure in laying around doing nothing.
                  I watched so much t.v.. You know what I've realized after a year with very limited t.v.? There really isn't that much good on. Yes, I still have my favorites, like Psych and What Not to Wear - but so many other shows, they're really just garbage. There's no use in watching them. What good are they doing me? I suppose I could even say the same about the two shows I already mentioned.
                Television is just a distraction from more important things. Now, that isn't to say that I'm never going to watch t.v., but I don't think I'll watch as much as I did before, and that makes me happy.
                It has been interesting to see people's reaction to me when I walk to do my errands. I may just be imagining it, but it seems like at least some people think I'm really weird for walking everywhere. Ha, I even turned down a ride home from church when it was windy and cold. I really must be weird! :P Oh, and people don't wear scarves here that much. It's quite sad really. I love scarves.
                 Anyway, the point is that despite what others may think of me and the different circumstances, I'm really finding myself. It's not 'the old Lindsay in a new place' or 'the new Lindsay in an old place'...it's just... me.
             I would normally care what people thought about me, but I honestly don't care so much right now. I know who I am and what I like, and that's enough for me. I don't need everyone to do things my way or anything like that. I still have a lot of improving in my life...like my 'talent' for organizing. ;-) Day by day, I will  continue to grow and change. I feel confident in that.
            It's really a different thing to be home. I'm really excited to see where God takes me from here, and I am excited to see how my relationship with Him grows! That's always an area of needed improvement. That is for sure. Through it all, God is good. He provides and sustains. He will not leave me behind. I have a lot of wisdom from my year in Germany that I know He is going to use and apply to my life. Every day will be an adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment