Saturday, May 1, 2010

Settling In

It is so strange to be back in the States after a year away. I didn't realize how different the two places are. Things you wouldn't even blink at normally become so important. I'm working on getting some pictures of the differences, but I'll just give you a list for now.

Light switches
Power outlets
Door knobs
Clouds
Wind
Sidewalks
Width of the roads
No house shoes or shoe horns in the US.
Recycling
Toilet flushes
Air vents
Traffic lights
Bike usage


Is that enough? I bet it was entertaining to see my reaction to seeing all these minor details. It has been very interesting to look upon my hometown. It is different to me now. It's just a small town..things don't ever seem to change. Very slow paced. It just makes me think of those sports movies where the whole town is involved in the game..well, that's what my town is like. Small town values and goals. The whole town shows up for the school recitals, and dance recitals, sports events. You are almost guaranteed to sit next to someone you know. It really just intrigued me. I hadn't really thought about it before. I don't know if anything I just said makes any sense. Hopefully!
I've already messed up and spoken German to people here. It is really difficult not to!! You just get used to things after a while, so this could stick around for a while. I have been thinking more carefully about my speech since arriving here, but mistakes will happen.
I don't have anything else to write right now. I'll try to get some pictures up soon. G'night!

1 comment: