There is so much that we can’t fully understand in this story. So much of it feels entirely evil! How could any father give up his daughters? How could an entire city be so evil
that “every old and young gathered” to pursue evil? The overall question we both had was, why would Lot choose to live here?? He knew how evil it was, so why did he stay in the first place?
But there were sections of this story that really stood out to me for our lives today.
“But the men reached out their hands and pulled Lot into the house with them, and shut the door. And they struck the men who were at the doorway of the house with blindness, both small and great, so that they became weary trying to find the door.”
Genesis 19:10-11
God is continuing to impress on me that I can trust Him. Lot didn’t. He tried to protect his angelic company by promoting a different avenue of evil, and then the angels took over and protected the whole family.
There are so many things I want to be able to control, but I need to trust that God is perfectly capable of taking care of me without my help. He is big enough.
“So Lot went out and spoke to his sons-in-law, who had married his daughters, and said, “Get up, get out of this place; for the LORD will destroy this city!” But to his sons-in-law he seemed to be joking.”
Genesis 19:14
When God speaks, do we listen? How often do we brush His words aside as unimportant? I’ve been truly fortunate to have God speak through several friends lately, but it makes me me wonder how often God has spoken and I’ve paid no attention! My prayer for this year is that our eyes, minds, and hearts will be open to the movement of the word of God!
“And while he lingered, the men took hold of his hand, his wife’s hand, and the hands of his two daughters, the LORD being merciful to him, and they brought him out and set him outside the city.”
Genesis 19:16
First off, we have to note that despite knowing the evilness of the city, knowing the angelic presence to save him, and knowing that everything would be destroyed: Lot still lingered! It seems absolutely shocking that Lot wouldn't run to safety as soon as possible, but how often do we do the same thing?
Sin is pleasurable! We are naturally drawn to evil, it seems. So how often have we been convicted of sin in our lives and yet lingered in it? Maybe we thought the sin wasn’t “that bad” or maybe we thought we could just stop whenever we want by our own power! I have definitely lingered in areas of my life that weren’t for my best.
Despite Lot lingering in this city of evil, God was merciful and forcibly removed him and his family from Sodom. God saves Lot and his family even though they went unwillingly. Have you ever felt God was dragging you, kicking and screaming, into something new? I certainly have! This verse provided so much comfort! Not only can I trust God to help me on this journey, but I can trust that He knows what is in my best interest and will continue to direct me even when I’m struggling to want to go along with Him.
There is so much more we could discuss about this chapter, but I’ll end with this:
“And it came to pass, when God destroyed the cities of the plain, that God remembered Abraham, and sent Lot out of the midst of the overthrow, when He overthrew the cities in which Lot had dwelt.”
Genesis 19:29
Lot didn’t deserve saving. He fought back so many times, but God still saved him, and it’s easy to wonder why until we get to verse 29. Then we learn that it’s foundation was Abraham’s relationship with God, not Lot’s. It made me wonder, as a child of God, how much can my prayers influence the course of someone’s life? It’s a thought provoking idea that I think we should all consider.

No comments:
Post a Comment