Thursday, January 31, 2013

Names Pt. 2

In my previous post I spoke about the importance of names in the Bible. How it seems that each name had a true meaning. Now I want to share some of my own thoughts on names.

Ever since I was young, I had an on-going list of the names I would give my children one day. I chose they purely because I liked the way they looked or they sounded. I'm not saying there is something wrong with that concept, just stay with me.

Lately I have been wondering whether God has given each of us a name with a specific meaning. Maybe some parents know what God has named their kids and name them that in this world too.

I know a lovely lady who had a few stories to tell about this all in her own family. I asked her permission to share them with you. When she was born her mother named her Jennifer Jones (after the actress), but it didn't take long to realize that the name Jennifer just didn't fit her! (It means 'fair' and 'white', fyi) While this lady is both of those things, the name she ended up with fits her so much better. Now her name means "Bright meadow" and "born again". She has the sweetest spirit of anyone I know. Her name truly fits her. Amazing how that happens.

Well, the name stories continue with her eldest son. For the first few years of his life he had a name which meant "Just" and "Charcoal". =D But then, before he was old enough to go to school, his parents each had a moment where they felt they were supposed to change his name! They prayed about it, but the real shocker was when their little son, out of the blue, actually asked them to give him a new name, and it was so close to the name they felt God had put in their heart! And so they got his name legally changed, and allowed him to pick out his new middle name. Now his name means "YHWH is God" and "Who is like God?".

I find her stories so interesting. They have a third story, but I'll save it for a future post. Isn't it just incredible how God had this little boy's name picked out? I think it is!

So I've been wondering. If God does have a name for each of us, does that mean we might get a new name in heaven? A name that is so perfect at describing our innermost being. Wouldn't that be exciting? To know that the God of all living has given each one of us a name? I love that thought.

So, do you think I'm crazy? Totally bonkers? Do you agree? What do you think about this idea?

2 comments:

  1. Well, let me tell you, Josie means, "God will add..."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you asked! Read Revelation 2:17. ..."and I will give him a white stone, with a new name written on the stone that no one knows except the one who receives it." I have not read any commentaries but to me that means we will have a new name...and it would seem to me, a name that is intensely personal, naming us in our entirety, with no other person having that name...because no other person is the same as me! Or you!

    ReplyDelete