Wednesday, June 9, 2010

My New Job!

The day after I arrived here up North, I started applying for jobs in the downtown. I wasn't feeling the most confident as I came to the end of my day's list. I didn't feel like I had filled the applications out very well, and honestly didn't know who would ever hire me! I almost gave up and turned back, but then I saw one of the businesses in the distance. My sister was especially encouraged by that cafe/bakery, and she really wanted me to apply there, so I figured- "I'm here..might as well!"
I walked in and was greeted by the happiest person I had seen all day! She was enthusiastic when she gave me the application. It was the first time that day that I really felt comfortable. She even told me that there was a position open, and that I should call back in a few days and talk to the manager. I walked out of that cafe feeling so hopeful and excited!
It was a thrill and an utter surprise to me when I got a call from the manager the very next day! The interview was set up and I was ecstatic. The interview probably only lasted 15 minutes, but I felt that I had been honest and open, and that I had done a good enough job. I knew there were other applicants, so it was just a matter of waiting.
Nearly a week later, I received a phone call from my former boss when she informed me of the extremely positive conversation she had with the bakery's manager! It was so nice to hear how my former boss appreciated the service I had given her. That was encouraging in itself. The manager called me the day after to officially offer me the position. I could not contain my excitement!
I went in yesterday to meet the other workers and to get a feel for the system. It was truly enjoyable. I loved talking to the husband. Oh, this is a family owned business, so the husband does most of the baking and cooking, and the wife does everything else. She showed me around the building and explained a bit of what I would be doing.
Today was my first training day, and I worked for three and a half hours. I was a bit nervous going in, but all the workers put me at ease right away. I just floated around for the majority of the time. I asked questions and got lots of answers! Whenever they didn't have something for me to do right away, I would go back and wash more dishes.
The most nerve-wracking thing I did was frost some cookies. I am not a culinary master AT ALL!!! I'm not physically artsy, and I've never been a good frost-er...but, I did it! And I felt more comfortable the more I did it, and I had a few that actually turned out pretty well; the others were just mediocre. I'm looking forward to the day that I can just whip out the frosting and be finished in short order. They were very encouraging despite my deficiencies. :P 
I have tomorrow off, but will go back on Friday from 7-2pm. It will be an early morning, but better than Germany! :P I'm really looking forward to working on Friday. I had so much fun talking with all of them and serving people again. I love to serve people! Serving makes me feel like I am doing something worthwhile and being a positive spot in peoples' days.
That is my job update!

3 comments:

  1. Congrats on the job! Starting a new job is always exciting...even if apprehensive. But you will do well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. who hoo! congrats! sounds really cool, actually. i've thought before of maybe opening a bakery here one day to sell amercian style cakes, cupcakes and cookies andfor 100% of the proceeds to go toward helping women escape prostitution...and women in our dream home can help bake and decorate and can even work in the shop and it'd be called A Slice of Grace. so learn lots and then you can come and be our manager!!!!!!!!!!! :) :) :) love you and miss u

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, that sounds amazing!! I would LOVE to do that! It's brilliant! Would you make that the public mission statement?

    ReplyDelete